Seattle, WA, USA
Pacific Northwest Research Institute (PNRI) is seeking a Research Technician for the Metzger Lab who will focus on cancer evolution and host responses to cancer, primarily utilizing a bivalve transmissible cancer model. We are seeking a candidate who will be responsible for PCR, tissue culture, plasmid purification, maintenance of clams and clam experiments and other lab duties, as well as computational sequence analysis, based on experience.Responsibilities:
You will help to maintain the live bivalve facility and be responsible for ordering scientific lab supplies and maintaining equipment. You will prepare genomic and plasmid DNA, clone genes into vectors for transgenic purposes, and may assist with various lab projects, including growth and transfection of vibrio cholera under BSL2 conditions.
The successful candidate will be able to work independently and carry out scientific techniques, procedures and research related to the research goals of the Principal Scientist. The candidate will also have hands-on experience with laboratory research, including tissue culture, DNA and RNA extraction, PCR, and bioinformatics computational experience.
Must be able to work with shellfish.
• Bachelor’s degree in the biological sciences or equivalent experience and/or education.
• Two or more years of experience as a Research Technician, undergraduate research assistant, or related laboratory experience.
• Experience in the lab with molecular biology, tissue culture, and bacterial culture.
• Genomics and bioinformatics computational experience preferred.
• Excellent communication skills.